University of California, Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5080
- 2018 Nordic Process Control Award
- 2016 Elected Fellow of International Federation of Automatic Control
- 2008 Elected to the Process Automation Hall of Fame
- 2008 Co-recipient of the Best Application Paper Award from the Journal of Process Control
- 2008 Honored by a Festschrift in the Journal of Process Control
- 2004 Elected Fellow of AIChE
- 2004 Plenary Lecture, Control Systems 2004, Quebec City, Canada
- 1999 Semi-Plenary Lecture, 1999 European Control Conference, Karlsruhe, Germany
- 1994 Statistics in Chemistry Award, American Statistical Association (shared with W.E. Larimore, A. Kemna, C.D. Schaper and D.A. Mellichamp)
- 1994 Plenary Lecture, Control '94 Conference, Coventry, UK
- 1993 Education Award, American Automatic Control Council.
- 1992 Tau Beta Pi Teaching Award for the Dept. of Chemical and Nuclear Engineering, UCSB.
- 1990 Meriam-Wiley Distinguished Author Award, American Society of Engineering Education (shared with T.F. Edgar and D.A. Mellichamp)
- 1988 Plenary Lecture, 12th Brazilian Congress on Chemical Engineering, Porto Alegre, Brazil
- 1980 Technical Achievement Award, Southern California Section of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- 1973 Best Paper Award, 1973 Joint Automatic Control Conference, Columbus, OH (shared with R.G. Wilson and D.G. Fisher).
Because I am retired, my current research activities are rather limited and I no longer supervise graduate students. My research is concerned with the development of improved techniques for process control, process monitoring, and system identification. The research involves a balance of theoretical analysis, process simulation, and experimental applications.
BS: Chemical Engineering, University of Wisconsin
PhD: Chemical Engineering, Princeton University