Change of Major

Contact Us

Erica Diaz
Student Affairs Manager
Chemical Engineering Department
Engineering II, Room 3357A

Changing Your Major to Chemical Engineering

Admission to the Chemical Engineering major is highly competitive,  and determined by a number of factors, including each student’s academic performance and trajectory, as well as current enrollments in Chemical Engineering classes. Freshmen should apply during the spring term of their freshman year and may reapply during their sophomore year. Sophomores may only apply one time during the spring term of their sophomore year.

Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA or above, and satisfactorily complete the following courses or their equivalents: Math 3A, 3B, 4A; Chem 3A , 3B-2AL, and 3C-2BL. Freshman (first-year) applicants are required to take ChE 5 (may be taken concurrently at time of application). Sophomore (second-year) applicants are required to take ChE 5, 10, and 110AB (110B may be taken concurrently at time of application). Recommended courses include: ENGR 3 and Physics 7A-7B; please note that the Phys 7 series is a graduation requirement for Chemical Engineering, and those students intending to change majors MUST enroll in this sequence.

Students who enter UCSB as transfer students are only permitted to major in a College of Engineering major if they were directly admitted into that specific major when they matriculated as a transfer student. Transfer students may not petition to change to or add an engineering major.

All students interested in changing into Chemical Engineering must meet with Erica Diaz, the Chemical Engineering Undergraduate Advisor, during fall quarter to go over the process and the requirements. You may either email to make an appointment, or stop by the office, Engr II, Room 3357A. Appointments are recommended.


Changing Out of the Chemical Engineering Major

If you are a current chemical engineering student wishing to change to another engineering major, consult the College of Engineering Undergraduate Office.

Additional Information

College of Engineering - Changing your major general information.